- Story from slave to first ordained black priest in USA
- The life of Fr. Augustus Tolton is inspirational for all
- True living in faith
Fr. Augustus Tolton is known to very few Catholics but is very familiar to the black Catholic community. Fr. Augustus Tolton The First Recognized Black Catholic Priest in America, by Corinna and Maria Laughlin, hopes to remedy that situation. The book is the biography of Fr. Tolton in paperback form with 48 pages. Cause for his sainthood was introduced in 2011.
Fr. Tolton was born in 1854 into slavery. After the outbreak of the Civil War his mother led the family to Quincy, Illinois and to freedom. He wanted to be a priest and was refused admittance to every seminary in the U.S. so he studied for the priesthood in Rome. He returned to the U.S. and worked in Quincy and then Chicago persisting in spite of prejudice experienced both in and out of the Church. He became a sought after speaker and beloved pastor and died at the early age of 43 in 1897. Fr. Augustus Tolton reveals to the reader a courageous man who would let nothing get in the way of his becoming a priest and then his ministering to his people.
Dimensions & Specifications
- 48 pages
- A story of how even Catholic Church prejudice could not stop God’s call to priesthood
- No known safety hazards when used appropriately
- Choose shipping method to fit your needs; Standard if you have no deadline, Expedited to meet deadlines or 3 Day Select.
- Patrick's Gild offers Air shipping if orders are placed by 9:00am CST. Choose Next Day or 2ned Day Air
What is your Return & Exchange Policy?
- Within 90 days of purchase date, your product may be returned to St. Patrick's guild with a receipt for exchange or refund. Items returned for refund are paid back by the same method of payment which you originally used. Items returned without a receipt are credited with store credit. We do not require a return authorization number to process returns.
- To send us a return, simply choose your favorite shipping option. Please enclose a copy of your receipt, the reason for return and the best phone number or email address at which we can reach you. Once received, your refund is processed immediately